Archive for the ‘projects’ Tag
WikiGraph helps users visualize connections among Wikipedia articles. It uses links within articles to decide how articles relate to each other. It is a Flash application with a PHP data services api, and a MySQL database. The database contains about 8.3 million articles with 800 million links. Seven UW CSE students (including me) worked on WikiGraph as part of the Winter 2011 Software Engineering class.
Some of the Challenges
The 24 most significant relationships for an article are shown in a graph. The strength of a relationship is determined by link relationships and the length of the article (longer articles are more likely to be real articles as opposed to long pages of links). Mutual relationships are considered the strongest (article a links to article b and vice-a-versa) followed by outbound relations and then inbound relations.
It can take a long time to determine the 24 most significant relationships for some articles. For example, the number 0 article has hundreds of thousands of inbound links (articles that link to the number 0 article). It takes over 30 seconds to pull all those connections from the database and then sort them in order of significance.
This seemed like too much time to have users wait, so we implemented a caching system. If a graph is not already in the cache, the api quickly returns 24 connections that are not necessarily the strongest, but are a mix of inbound and outbound links. A background job is then initiated to cache the graph for subsequent requests.
It would be possible to cache all of the links at once, but due to limitations with our MySQL server we were not able to do this. Hence, it is done lazily. Some graphs, with too many links cause the database queries to timeout (there are too many results). If we had more time to work on the project, we would consider ways to cache all of the graphs initially so that every request would return the most significant connections quickly.
We used Google Code to develop the source code, track issues, and create documentation in the wiki.
The Flash Client
To develop the Flash application we used Flex 4 with ActionScript 3. None of our team members had ever developed a Flash application prior to January and we did not have access to Flash Builder. Flex was incredibly easy to learn for our team and it is open source! Everyone had significant Java and Object Oriented experience, and we found lots of documentation and tutorials which made it easy to get started.
We were also able to use FlexUnit 4 to run automated unit tests on our Flex/ActionScript source code. This proved to be easy to do in a Windows environment, but far more difficult on our Hudson build server which used Fedora 13. I will write a separate blog about getting FlexUnit, Hudson, and Fedora to work together harmoniously.
The PHP Data Services API
There is a pretty simple set of functional PHP scripts that implement all of the user actions. An OO paradigm is used to access the database.
We used PHPUnit to run automated unit tests. It was super easy and provided options for jUnit-like output which Hudson could easily chart.
The MySQL Database
Our database consumes quite a bit of space, so we opted to use an Amazon Web Service Relational Database Service. Our class was able to provide grants to use the AWS services. We were very pleased with the AWS experience. It allowed us to moderate how much space and memory we used for the database. That was useful when we wanted to perform administrative actions on the db. We could upgrade to a high memory, fast CPU instance while the admin operations took place, and then downgrade to a cheaper low memory, standard CPU for normal use.
I doubt that AWS needs any further commendations, but I highly recommend it.